Friday, November 18, 2011

Bamboo or Hemp?

So, I have been looking at wahsable nappies/terry squares and the latest materials to make these nappies out of seems to be either bamboo or hemp because they are both known for thier natural antibacterial properties, they are both a lot more absorbant than cotton and they are more economical than cotton as cotton is harder to grow than both bamboo and hemp. The thing I am struggling with is which is best to go for, bamboo or hemp? Has anyone else ever tried either of these or has anyone else done any research into which is the best? I have tried to do the research but it has just left my head spinning! lol It would be great to hear of anyone elses experiences, thanks.

Bamboo or Hemp?
I've got tots bots nappies, and they are made from bamboo.


I'm at 37 weeks, so haven't used them yet, but I prefer bamboo as it is really soft and has antibacterial properties.


I've also got the winnie the poo baby organics bamboo blankets from babies are us, and they are really soft and hang well.


Also, lots of outdoors active underwear is made from bamboo, as it doesn't smell too bad after lots of wear.





I don't know too much about hemp, I've used the hemp based moisturiser and lip balm from the body shop which works really well because of the oil you get from hemp seed. And used hemp string to make necklaces - I could be wrong, but I don't think it's as soft for fabric as bamboo, but I haven't seen hemp in nappies, only harder wearing fabrics like carpets and curtains.





I know what you mean about fabric uses, but personally I am going for bamboo because of it's soft and anti-bacterial properties. Hemp may be slightly harder wearing, but I would need a couple of months of wash and wear on both to compare.





All the best with your baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment