Monday, May 17, 2010

Bamboo for a roofdeck in New York city?

I have a small roof deck in Manhattan. Zone 5 but gets lot's of direct sun light (and is hotin July and Aug). It also gets some snow in the winter.





I think I might be Zone 5, not sure though.





I'd like some big green plants and especially like bamboo. I can build a large planter and wrap/cover in the winter if necessary. Any suggestions?





Would a Japanese Maple do allright?

Bamboo for a roofdeck in New York city?
I believe a Japanese maple might do ohk. Of course it would do better if it was planted in the ground. If you go with that or any potted shrub/tree for that matter you want to make sure that you wrap it up really well for the winter. Get some burlap and twine. Use a couple of layers. I'm not sure how well the bamboo will do through the winter. Just remember during the winter it gets very cold and windy up on roof tops in New York and a lot of plants may not come back next season. Your best bet is to call a local garden center and ask them what they think would work best for you. Just by telling them what you are looking for, the kind of light you get, etc. they can suggest something.

Dog Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment