Friday, May 21, 2010

Is my Black Bamboo dying?

Around a month ago I bought a black bamboo plant - around 2 meters tall, nice green leaves and healthy looking. I placed it in a partial-shady corner of my garden but about two weeks later leaves started to yellow. I went to re-pot it today and the plant was root bound like I've never seen - vertually no soil just a pot of roots! Anyway I have now re-potted it but am worried it's dying. It seemed health when i bought it.





Do bamboo plants shed leaves normally, and do they grow back?





Any ideas what is going on, and what I can do? Thanks.

Is my Black Bamboo dying?
Contact these people:





http://www.bamboosourcery.com/catalog.cf...
Reply:Well it's either a Phyllostachys nigra (a running bamboo) or Bambusa lako (a clumper). If it has any kind of vertical striping it is Lako, if not Nigra.





As for it being pot bound, yes it happens with every potted bamboo and they must be thinned from year to year.





It is possible that you discovered this too late and the plant is a goner. I would deep water it and feed it a little fertilizer and if no new shoots appear in the coming months then it probably is gone.





Usually bamboos defoliate once per year but it is never noticed since the new leaves are already emerging.





I came home from vacation today to find one of my potted runners completely brown and dead looking, so I can understand how you are feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment