Monday, November 16, 2009

Can a bamboo rug be stained?

I recently got a great deal on a 7X10 bamboo rug. However, the rug is a "natural" color which is similar in color to a piece of unfinished pine. I would like to stain it a darker shade, and I'm posting in hopes that someone has done this before and can give tips/suggestions. The back of the rug has a slip mat attached, so I don't have any place to do a test patch. I can't tell if there is any protective finish on the bamboo, but I would imagine there is. Thanks!

Can a bamboo rug be stained?
You can't stain over a protective finish..the stain won't absorb. You can paint it as long as you find out what is on it now. Is it oil or latex? If it's oil you can only paint with an oil base paint. Latex won't stick to oil. It may have to be primed first.


No comments:

Post a Comment