Saturday, November 14, 2009

Questions about planting bamboo?

I have a bamboo in a large pot but I'm thinking about putting it in the ground in a bed about 5x5 feet that is next to my house and has a concrete walkway around the rest of it.


First, because of its underground runners, would it be harmful to my house or the foundation if I planted it next to it?


Second, how deep would I have to put a barrier if I want to restrict its spreading, and what kind of barrier should I use?


And last, if I have other plants around the bamboo while its small, will they get pushed out of the ground as the bamboo starts to spread and come up?


Thanks in advance for the help.

Questions about planting bamboo?
first put the bamboo in a new much much large pot. then dig a hole in the ground and put the new pot with the bamboo in the ground and cover it so it doesnt look like a pot is in the ground. theres the barrier and i would keep it away from a house because even a barrier will eventually break, or the bamboo would find a way to go over the barrier. literally it will go above the groung and over the barrier so make sure taht when you see this you cut it
Reply:Before doing anything try and find out the variety. Once in the ground some bamboos are unstoppable and they will engulf your whole garden. Killing anything in their way and affecting your foundations!


Lets now say it is a nice well behaved clump forming bamboo. No problem. I have a Fargesia nitida growing in my garden and it has stayed in a nice clump for four years now.


Check here to identify yours.


http://www.bamboogarden.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment